Reconnect to Wi-Fi and then go to Settings > About Phone > System Update > Check for Update to finish the upgrade. Otherwise, your device will automatically retry the download in 2 weeks.
No, a Factory Data Reset will remove any installed third-party apps and all Google account information. It will not affect data on the microSD card, or change the Android version in any way.
Cricket and Kyocera will make the upgrade available starting February 28th.
The device will not automatically alert you of an available upgrade, you do have to manually ‘Check for Update’ on your Zio on or after February 28th.
To check for the 2.2 upgrade on or after February 28th, go to Settings > About Phone > System Update > Check for Update. The download must be done over Wi-Fi. Also, Cricket recommends fully charging your device and adjusting your screen timeout setting to ‘never’ before initiating the upgrade.
Go to Menu > Settings > Sound and Display > Screen Timeout > Never Timeout. Once the upgrade is complete, reset the screen timeout to 15 or 30 seconds. This will help to extend your battery life.
Go to Menu > Settings > Wireless controls > Touch Wi-Fi to turn it on > Wi-Fi settings > Zio scans for Wi-Fi networks > Choose desired network to connect to > Enter password for secured networks > Zio connects to network > and you should be ready for Wi-Fi internet use. If you’re connecting to a secure Wi-Fi network, you may also need to establish a browser session to enter your credentials.
The entire upgrade process will take between 30 and 60 minutes, depending on your Wi-Fi connection and data speeds. The upgrade comes in three packages, the first and second packages will download and install pretty quickly (2-5 minutes each, on a good Wi-Fi connection). The third download will take longer (20-30 minutes on a good Wi-Fi connection).
The upgrade requires the download and installation of three packages, the device will power cycle after each package is installed. It is only after the third package is installed and the device power cycles (setting up the new operating system) that the icons will be updated on the home screen. You may also verify the new version under the device settings menu, go to Menu > Settings > About Phone > Android version 2.2.1. Be patient after the final (third) package install, as it will take up to 10 minutes to reboot.
We highly recommend syncing contacts with Gmail™ before upgrading your device, as well as backing up pictures and other data to your microSD card. If your contacts are not appearing after the upgrade, go to Contacts > Menu > Display Options > firstname.lastname@example.org > Select: All other contacts.
With the new 2.2 Android OS for your Zio, you’ll see the following benefits.
- Performance Improvements: The new 2.2 OS has improved management of device memory, enabling faster transition through the device user interface and faster interaction with applications.
- 5 Home Screens: Additional home screens allow you to further customize device short cuts and quick access to key apps.
- Live Wallpaper Support: Allows you to customize your home screen with animated wallpapers (because live wallpapers will drain your battery faster, this feature defaults to off, but it you can enable it).
- Camera & Camcorder Feature Buttons: Added to the short cut screen to allow for quicker access. These are two frequently used features many consumers wanted quick access to. Now you can upload images and content to social networking sights even faster now!
- Gallery Zoom Gesture Support: Peek into stacks of pictures and zoom in and out with greater ease.
- Multiple keyboard languages: You can switch between different languages by swiping across the space bar. This will then change the keys, as well as the auto-update dictionary.
- MS Exchange supported (email, calendar, and contacts): Provides the user total access to their daily calendar, all saved contacts and the ability to multitask via e-mail; this is the true Smartphone experience! Refer to the Zio User Guide for instructions.
- Application Auto Update: As new apps are downloaded, the user can choose auto update or manual update –the user controls how updates to their device are handled.
Cricket Customer Care is unable to support setup of a corporate email accounts using MS Exchange because so many of the specific settings and information you will need must be provided by your company’s IT support team. Instructions for set up are provided in the Zio User Manual.
Yes it will. However, because live wallpapers will drain your battery faster this feature defaults to off, but you can enable it.
If you’re attempting to download the upgrade on or after February 28th and receive the message ‘no download available,’ the server hosting the upgrade software is busy. Try again in 20-30 minutes, or during typically slow times (i.e. after 9 pm), or you can take your Zio to a Cricket store and we’ll be happy to upgrade your device for you.
You can, for the most part; there are only a few times during the upgrade that the device will not be usable (this is noted in the upgrade instructions). It is recommended, for the most efficient upgrade experience, that you refrain from using your device to make / accept calls, send messages, or for web access while the upgrade is in process. Doing these things while the download is taking place in the background won’t harm the device, but download speeds will be slower.